Sunday, August 14, 2011

My wonderful life continues

Let’s see, what new and exciting things have happened since I last updated my blog…
I am now INTERMEDIATE MID in French! Yessssssssssssss. I was super excited to the get the results of my last LPI! I went from speaking nothing to being able to have real conversations (for the most part anyway) with people. It’s pretty cool.
I visited Camp Glow this past week. Camp Glow stands for Girls/Guys Leading Our World. It is a camp that was put in play to help empower girls. They have fun sessions like making tye-dye shirts, but also sessions on emotions and goal setting and family planning. The girls come from all over Burkina and they stay there for a week. This year that have it for boys as well, because eventually boys grow up to be men and they should know that both men and women are important. So after the girls have their week the boys get to come and learn some of the same things. It was really a great experience visiting the camp. Mad props to the volunteers that put that together! It was great. Oh and we got to stay at a convent! A Nunnery! With real live nuns! It was so cute. Also we ate homemade banana bread and that was pretty fantastic. Mmmmm.
Model tutoring is going well. I taught a math class all on my own this past week. It was so terrifying! It’s funny because working in a prison was less terrifying than a group of 4 ten-year-olds. It went really well. We learned addition and subtraction. I got a lot of great feedback. Hearing about all of these projects makes me really excited to get to site and start working on stuff. I can’t wait to get there and finish stage already!
Today was really great. I went to church. I love going to church here. It’s really nice to know that church is the same everywhere, just in a different language lol. It’s great. My family likes the fact that I go and I just like going. It’s comfortable. When I got home from church my Baba was like go get Sudakshina and tell that she is invited to lunch. We had such a huge lunch because one of my sisters was visiting, my sister that is a nun. It was good. I met my other sister and her baby yesterday. It was wonderful, the baby and I are bffs. We ate crudetae (cucumber salad), ragu pomme de tere (potato stew), and riz sauce arrachide (rice with peanut sauce). It was soooooo good. Oh, and I had frozen Fanta. It was magical. After lunch I hung out with some friends and my family. Then Sudak and I went to go work on our trees. I was hard work. We finished with 53 tree preps so in 3 days we will put seeds in them and watch them grow. Only 600 trees to go haha. Then I came home and hung out with Sue and ate dinner at home.
 It’s terribly hot right now. Been missing home lately. I still love it here, but I do miss home. It’s hard to be apart from the ones that you love. I love Andrew and miss him so much, and everyone. But, I still love Africa and am very glad to be here. I just need to make it swear in. 5ish more weeks to go. I love and miss everyone!

2 comments:

  1. thats so awesome about the nunnery!!!! i cannot wait to visit and meet all these wonderful people and places!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It’s funny because working in a prison was less terrifying than a group of 4 ten-year-olds." Has to be the best quote of the blog :) I feel I would probably be the same!

    And we miss you too! Of course you're going to miss home, I miss home just leaving Louisiana for the weekend (fail) but we are all going to be here waiting for you when you get back and hopefully some of us will get the chance to visit you're awesome, crazy life in in Africa !!

    ReplyDelete