Sunday, August 7, 2011

Nasara Waka

So I have some impromptu internet time so what would be better than a blog post and uploading some pictures? Let’s see, Africa is still amazing. I’m still having a great time. We started model school/tutoring (that’s when we get some village kids and go over lessons and stuff with them, pretty much a couple of weeks of summer school). Lindsay and I were partners and we worked really well together. We were given 5 children and we had to administer a sort of reading placement test. It was really sad to see that most kids could barely read single letters. It was kind of a discouraging way to begin actuallyL. All the kids were then split into groups and we were given 5 children that are in CM1 class that are mid-level readers. Our kids are named Fabiola, Alexi, Armel, Michael and Eric. They are a great group of kids. Our first lesson however was kind of a bust. We pretty much got blank stares from everyone and it was really frustrating. The lesson was supposed to be about adding decimals, and they had no clue what to do. Determined to do better the next day I decided to start from the very beginning, our next lesson was basic addition. This went so well! Everyone was participating and they were actually getting was I was saying. It was really great. Our lessons since then have been really awesome as well. I was really proud of those kids, so far we’ve done a few math lessons, reading lessons, and a lesson on malaria (known here as paludisme). I’m really excited about the way things are going.
My hose family is still doing really well. I love to have random dance parties with my siblings. It is so much fun. They love Akon haha. I usually try to bring them vegetables or fruit or candy or something, just to let them know that I appreciate what they do for me. I gave my brother Leopold and my nephew Landry Sprite last weekend and they loved it lol. Landry even let me pick him up! Today I had another LPI (language placement test). When I go home Leopold screams “Nasara!” and starts waving like crazy and running to me, and Landry followed him. I gave them a ball to play with and they were really happy. It was the best! My brother Ulrich apparently went back to Ouagadougou to spend the rest of his vacation there and go back to school there in the fall. I miss that little hoodlum; we played a lot of cards. My sister Isabel is currently in Ouaga as well. She is taking an exam for a class she is taking to become a nurse I think. I pray that she does really well. She and I have grown so close. We go to church together on Sundays and she braids my hair and we talk about boyfriends. She showed me a picture of her boyfriend. It’s really fun. My parents are good too.
 Funny story, last night I had a really bad stomachache and went to the latrine. I absolutely detest going to the latrine at night, but it was an emergency. I grab my flashlight and go and when I’m done I get scared by a noise and drop my flashlight…where does it land? Oh yea, DOWN THE LATRINE. So I had to explain to my baba this morning that I lost the flashlight that they gave me because I dropped it down the latrine, where it will remain in poop for the rest of time. He gave me a look, and I thought he would be mad, but then he busts out laughing, and now everyone knows that I did that. I’m glad that they thought it was so funny and he said that he would get me a new one. I love my baba. I love being part of their family.
Tonight was stage prom! It was so much fun (refer to facebook for pics). There was lots of dancing and other such activities. Of course Sudakshina was my date. We even had matching shirts made for the occasion. It was so much fun.
Well I suppose that’s all for now. J More to come J

No comments:

Post a Comment