Thursday, January 3, 2013

A social experiment...

What happens when you put 3 starving Burkina Faso volunteers in an expat's house for a night?

MADNESS!

While trying to figure out what to do with myself during my time in Ouagadougou I of course call my friend Amy to see what she's up to. She informs me that she is going to be house-sitting for someone right down the street from us. Obviously that means that I will be joining her. We get there and oh my God we are instantly overwhelmed. This house can fully stocked with 2 fridges, internet  t.v., and a phone-line that lets you make FREE calls to America. Boy were we in for a long night.

Walking into their house was like walking in to an American house. We were greeted by a HUGE golden retriever puppy named Holden. He was cute and fun for all of 5 minutes before he got annoying lol. They also and 3 huge cats as well. Their house was decorated in awesome Christmas decorations. It felt a little like being at home. There was a Christmas tree and lights everywhere. It was beautiful.

The first thing that we did upon arrival was check out the contents of their fridge. They told us to help ourselves to anything in there (mistake number one). It was fully loaded with beer, CHEESE, American candy, and all kinds of snacks. We surely did help ourselves. We literally ate like everything in their fridge. The wife told Amy that there was some meat in the fridge for the dog. She fed him a pice and then looked at it. Being from tiny villages where meat is rare and you defiantly don't waste it on your dog we decided to eat it. We stole food from a dog....that was a low point haha! We had pizza and wine and I even had a Reeses Peanut Butter Cup! Something I have not seen in the last 18 months!

We immediately tried out the internet and the phone. The phone really let us talk to America! Fist thing I did was call my mom. She didn't answer because she didnt recognize the number so I kept calling until she did. Also, it was like 8 am. we got to talk for a while. It was awesome. I also got to call Lauren and talk to her for almost 2 hours. That was the highlight of my day. In 18 months we literally haven't gotten a chance to talk for more than 10 minutes. We caught up on each others' lives. We downloaded the new Grey's Anatomy and a ton of music.

We joked so much about how much food we ate and how if anyone could see the way we were acting they would be mortified! But to us, it was a night of fun and good friends :)

P.S. The next day we all left before they got a chance to look in the fridge lol.


No comments:

Post a Comment