Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pushed Back....

I got a phone call shortly after getting home from the gym yesterday. I didn't answer it because it was area code (202) and I'm always hesitant to answer phone calls from numbers that i don't know. So after it stops ringing I check and see where the phone call came from. What do I see when I check? D.C., U.S.A......UH OH! The Peace Corps called me and I didn't pick up! My first thought was "oh please God let these people leave me a voicemail." I stare at my phone with such intensity that I fear I might burn a hole in it. Finally I hear that so very anticipated voicemail ring. I hurriedly rushed through the message and quickly utilized the call back number the Stephanie (the Peace Corps placement lady) left for me. I call her back expecting to hear some good news and we proceed to go through a sort of update interview. She asks me some questions similar to the ones of my first interview with Chanti (my Peace Corps recruiter) back in May. Then she drops a bombshell on me....she tells me that i am most likely going to be placed in a program that will be departing IN THE FALL!!! Talk about a slap in the face, here I am thinking that I am finally going to be hearing some good news about leaving soon and this is what I hear instead. At this point, my heart just drops. The thought of having to wait another 6 months or so quite literally makes my soul die just a little. The only good thing that comes from this is that she says that now there is chance that I may be placed in a program for youth development, which is the program that I had originally wanted to be involved in. Stephanie tells me that to make my application more competitive so that maybe it can be further processed more quickly. In an effort to make my application just that much better I have decided that much more volunteering is in order. At this point I have informed Andrew of said conversation with Stephanie. WE decided that on these of days WE are going to check out a variety of places that WE can volunteer at. And yes, I did say "WE." My dear, sweet, wonderful boyfriend has agreed to help me volunteer. I think that this is such a great idea. The two of us volunteering together, I think, is such a positive way for us to spend time together while giving back to the community and helping me get some sort of placement in the Peace Corps sooner. It's nice to have someone who is so supportive. Well, it's off to get ready for one more night of work before we being our volunteering adventures. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment