Monday, October 31, 2011

Happy Halloween

Happy Halloween! Oh how I miss the fall. I miss the weather cooling down and carving pumpkins. I came to Leo to have a pretend Halloween with Sam, Hugo, Lindsay and our new friend Bill.
Today I am very proud of myself. I am smiling with a HUGE sense of accomplishment. This morning I was up before the roosters and I BIKED to Leo. My house to Leo is approximately 35km, or 22 MILES. Last night I finished reading a very inspiring book that was written in rememberance of a Peace Corps Volunteer. So I dedicate my bike ride this morning to her. I strapped up my backpack and water bottle, said a little prayer and pedaled. It was nice to watch the sunrise, but I’d be lying if I said that the ride was easy by any means. Lately I have decided to set little daily goals for myself, I do this so that on days that I don’t really know what I’m doing I can strive to meet a small goal. Today my goal was to make it to Leo is 2 hours….guess what? ONE hour and 54 minutes later I was sitting at a table with Lindsay and Bill. I was exhausted but couldn’t stop smiling. I had done it. It was a great start to the day. Lindsay lent me the shower in her room so I could remove the layers of sand and clay from my face and legs. It was great!
I have to say that I have been in an incredible mood for the past week. My spirits have really been up. Last Thursday the boys at my house (that I now refer to as my little brothers because they all call me Tantie) took me to the fields with them. We picked sweet potatoes, corn, peanuts, onions, hot peppers. We ate vegetables straight out of the ground! It was something I’ve never done before and it was awesome. We ended up spending like 4 hours walking around in the fields. It was really fun. I made bissap for the kids (juice made out of hisbiscus flowers). They we really happy and it was great. I’ve read a lot of books lately and things have really been going well.
Time to drink sangria and go to the pool J
Until next time….. J   

No comments:

Post a Comment