Saturday, November 26, 2011

Birthday Adventure!

My birthday celebration was amazing! Wednesday I started my day bright and early to catch the first bus out of Leo, headed to Ouaga. I got to Ouaga a little after 8am. I still had some time before I was set to catch the bus to Nate’s so I biked by the bureau to see if he had any mail that I could bring him. After the bureau I biked over to Gare de l’est. I really had no idea where I was supposed to find the bus to Boulsa. Luckily someone helped me out. I met a really nice lady who let me sit with her and her kids while waiting for the bus. When the bus finally got to the station it was around 10:30am. 
The ride to Boulsa was a rough one, to say the least. I had been feeling a little sick in the morning when I woke up, but by the time I was heading to Nate I was feeling pretty terrible. I must have been sick at least 10 times that day. I finaly met up with Nate around 2pm. He should be around his great house and we chatted for a bit. Nate had a class to teach so I went with him. It was cool to watch him teach because his students really like him, and teaching here is not easy. Then we went to a little restaurant. After the restaurant we came back to Chez Nate to watch a movie and drink Sangria juice box.
My birthday/Thanksgiving was really great. We got up and went to go have CafĂ© au lait and bread at a little boutique near Nate’s. Then my sister called me to wish me a happy birthday and that was really sweet. A friend of ours ,Alaina, was coming in for the day and we went and got yogurt and headed back to the house. Nate and I commenced with the juice box while Alaina cooked for us. It was great. My mom called me and sang me happy birthday. She’s so cute, she cried while singing. I miss her a lot. I also got to talk to Frankie and my dad. Nate and I  litened to music sang like a bunch of silly fools. Andrew called me to wish me happy birthday as well and I was really happy to hear from him. Our thanksgiving dinner consisted of Mexican food. We had benga with salsa, lettuce and queso. It was quite the little feast. The night ended with more juice box and a movie. All of my Peace Corps friends texted and called to wish me happy birthday. Mark texted me and I was so happy! Leah texted to wish me happy birthday and I called her back to tell her happy birthday as well. It’s fun sharing my birthday with her. So the big 23 was bien pass’e in Boulsa. It was probably the best it could have been and I was very happy for it. It was truly a great day.
Yesterday we woke up and decided that it was best to start the day with coffee, bread, yogurt, juice (actual juice, not juice box) and a movie. After the movie I washed my clothes and then we headed out to get something to eat and drink. After “lunch” we went by the marche. I tasted fried peanut butter, which apparently is a big thing in these parts. I wasn’t really a fan, but at least I’ve tried it. After the marche we came back to the house and Nate’s friend John was here. We talked to him for a while and he told me that he was going to give me 2 little trees to take back to site with me. Oddly enough I was really happy for the trees. He left and then Nate left because he had to do some work at the school, I stayed at the house reading and just hanging out.  When Nate got back we watched movies, drank juice box and made dinner.
Today I woke up and had breakfast with Nate before heading out. I wasn’t much looking forward to the bus ride. I slept a lot of the way to Ouaga. I got to the station around 12 and biked to the transit house. Now I’m waiting for Su-dawg so that we can go to birthday dinner!

No comments:

Post a Comment