Tuesday, November 22, 2011

These days...

Time for another entry haha. So let’s see, what have I been up to? Honestly, not a whole lot besides getting to know the people in my village. As far as work goes I’m still going to the school everyday. I’ve been spending some time at the CSPS which is the hospital here. My friend is the doctor there and he let me interview him, and also sit in in some consultations. It was really cool. I hope to be able to work with him in the near future, he seems really happy at the thought of working together, which seems like a good start to me.
            Last Thursday a woman passed away in my village. Apparantly she had been sick with a heart condition for the better part of the last year. She was told that she needed to go to Europe to have a surgery. Hello! This is a woman who comes from a village with no electricity and running water. Where on earth was the money for that supposed to come from? It was sad to hear that dying at home or spending more money than she has ever seen in her life to live were her only options. Sadly she passed. People came over all day to my courtyard to eat and give money. The family literally fed me 3 different meals. I didn’t know the lady that much, except when I would pass her house and wave to her, I know her husband a lot better because he is often over talking with Gabriel. Even though I didn’t know her, I couldn’t help but shed some tears and say a prayer for her and her family. A new baby was also born in my village this week. I feel like I have witnessed life go full circle here in Yoro. The kids were really excited to tell me about the new baby. I went over to go congratulate the family. Unfortunately the parents weren’t there at the time, but grandma was. She was so happy to take me in to see the new little baby, and was even more excited when she asked me told hold him and I said that I would love to. The baby was so beautiful and tiny. I told them that I was happy for them and to make sure that the baby sleeps under the mosquito net, which I was happy to see, was hanging in the room.
            Sunday was Lauren’s baptism! I am her god-mother haha. So cool. I got to talk to my family and Lauren and her brother. It was so great but it made me a little homesick because I would have loved to be there. Her brother said something to me that I have been thinking about a lot. He told me not to worry, that he’s been there. I told him that he could not compare spending years in the military to what I am doing. What he did took a lot more bravery and courage and was a lot more dangerous. He said that the only difference was that he had to worry about incoming stuff. I still don’t think that there is a comparison, but it was nice to hear. He knows what its like to wish to be home to be with the people that you care about and be with them for important events. I’m so happy for Lauren and really happy that I got to talk to her and my family. It was great J
Yesterday I was sitting at home enjoying my mid-day repose when there was a knock on my door. I got up grumbling because usually when a child knocks on my door they are just wanting me to come out so they can stare at me. She told me that there was a guy who was looking for Madeline (the mom of the family that lives in the same courtyard as me). I told her that all the family had gone to the fields for the day, so I went out to see what was up. The guy came over and explained to me that the Red Cross is actually the organization that built the pump there. They are going to come at the end of the month to officially give the pump to the village and he wanted to make sure that the women clean the pump and the area around the pump. We chatted for a bit and then he asked me where I am from (his first guess was that I come from Spain). I told him no, that I am indeed American. He said “Wow America, and you speak French very well.” I pondered that statement for a minute and I thought to myself, “dude I do speak French! I’m living in Yoro speaking French.” I couldn’t help but laugh to myself about it. Even after almost 6 months I still have these moments where I am amazed at where I am, and I can’t believe that I’m actually here. I wouldn’t trade these days for anything.
Today I am working on some things at Bill’s house using the internet, and I'm going to head to the bank and then to visit my friend Leah. Tomorrow I’m heading over to spend my birthday and thanksgiving with my friend Nate. It should be pretty fun. Then I’m heading to Ouaga for my first food security meeting. I’m going to see Su-dawg and her dad! We are going to birthday dinner on Saturday! I can’t wait. I can’t believe my birthday is in 2 days. Turning 23 in Burkina Faso…who ever would have thunk it?

No comments:

Post a Comment