Monday, June 25, 2012

Finally an Update


It's been almost 3 months since my last blog post! i've become such a slacker when it comes to updating this and even Facebook. I'll work on it...



So it's offically been one year that I've been in this country as of June 11th. Oh how time flies and how things have changed this past year. I'm not even going to attempt to recap the last 2.5 months in very much detail because that would take forever...but here are some highlights...



1.  Yoro first ever girl's soccer team!- My team consisted of the girls from the CM2 class. All that got started over me being a hot-head over the fact that I said any girl can play soccer with any guy. So, I was challenged to a bet. The bet was that I couldn't train a girl's soccer team to beat the boy's team. I hate to be told that I can't do something so I marched into the middle of Yago's class and asked the girls if they wanted to play soccer. All of them jumped up and wanted to play. The girl's had an amazing season. They could play on the condition that they studied hard and at the end of the year the top 7 girls in the class are all on my team. I watched them grow into confidant young ladies that are quick to jump up and brush the dirt off and get back out there. Man my girls could take a hit! I've never been more proud than I was of those girls. 

2. My first school year is now over. Yago called me to tell me that 31 of the 47 kids that took the CEP passed it! He did such an incredible job with those kids. Thats 31 kids that are now one step closer to finishing school. Lots of things to look forward to for next year... Like having 100% of Yoro's kids pass. 

3. The "Men as Partners" Conference that I attended in May was amazing. I took my village dad to it and that was an amazing decision. He learned a lot and actually engaged in all the activities. At the end of the conference he was given a frame that said that he is a partner to all the women in his life. He was so proud of that moment and when I got home I found that he had proudly hung it up for everyone to see. 

4. The end of my relationship is a pretty significant thing that has happened in the last 3 months. Not going to get into the specifics. Just sometimes things don't work out like you had planned or hoped for. In the end the distance won. Now I'll just treasure the good memories and leave the rest behind me. I wish Andrew the best and think of him often. 

5. Food Security Task Force update- I currently am vice president of the food security committee. I helped work on a project proposal for a HUGE grant that USAID gave Peace Corps Burkina Faso for food security related projects. Now volunteers will have the resources that they need to do any projects. Also there is a conference in a WEEK in THE GAMBIA that I get to attend with Jason and Nina. It's going to be so epic to be able to talk about Burkina’s projects and visit The Gambia. I'll definitely post about that trip.  

6.My messed up arm. Currently I am writing this laid up in the med unit.  A few days ago I was biking in Leo and Hugo's dog ran in front of me. I didn't have time to stop but I hit the brakes, clipped Plato and hit the ground. When I hoped up I wasn't bleeding except for a cut on my ankle but my arm was in a lot of pain and shaking like crazy. I thought it was just a shock but by afternoon it was unbearable. I called the PCMO who told me that I had to come in and get x-rays. Luckily there is no break but it's possible that I have a torn ligament. Still can't move it at all so I keep it in a sling. I'm hoping to be out of the med unit soon. As much as I like having air conditioning and bagels I can't deal with the loneliness of being the only person sleeping in here.  More updates on the arm to come. 

No comments:

Post a Comment