Monday, June 25, 2012

So as it turns out I will be in the med unit until at least Wednesday because of my arm. The boredom might be the death of me. There are only so many books I can read and naps that I can take it one day. I've never been good at sitting still for long periods of time. 

It's weird how much I miss my village when I am not there. I talk to my best friend Saiiba practically everyday. He calls to tell me that he misses me and I tell him that when I see him I'm going to give him "Gros Bizou's" (big kisses) because I always miss him so much when I'm not there. I joke with him and tell him that if he could speak English he could pass for an American. He's so much different than the guys here. We can talk about everything, and we hang out all day everyday. We drink beer and tea and gossip and laugh. It's really quite amazing. He invited me to come to Bobo in August to visit his girlfriend and little daughter. I can't wait to go. He promised that we would go dancing and visit the waterfalls. We also plan to have a huge party for our birthday this year (His is November 28th and mine's the 24th) in Bobo. We are going to buy lots of chickens and beer haha. It's going to be amazing. I can even talk to him about relationships and love. I never thought I would have a friend like this here in Burkina. I wish I could pack him in my backpack and take him to America with me. He told me that he was going to come back with me and be my guard and not let dumb people talk to me. I have such close friends in this country I can't imagine what it will be like to leave them in a year. I wish that I could take them all with me. I've gotten so many calls from my village friends like Ada, Yago, Gabriel, Issaka and Saiiba asking how I'm doing. It's a really good feeling to know that they care for me the way I care for all of them. It's an amazing feeling to walk down the street and have all my babies run up to me to hold me hand. Just yesterday I was hanging out with my friend Ishmael here in Ouaga and we went to visit his cousin. His cousin has the most adorable kids ever! A girl and twin boys. I've meet the kids before and they all saw me and ran up to me saying "Ta-ta we missed you!" and they all gave me hugs and kisses. My favorite is the baby of the family, he was curious about my sling so I took it off for him to show him that I still have an arm. He crawled onto my lap and cuddled into me, sucking his thumb. It was such a perfect moment. I played angry birds with the kids on Ishmael's phone and they we all screaming "ta-ta knock down the house!!!" and when I did they would run to Ishmael and say "Ton-ton, Ta-ta knocked down the bird's house!!!" they were so happy and silly and precious. Now that school is almost over they are getting ready to move to Cote d'Ivoire. I need to get a picture with them before they go. 


My time here is going by so fast. I realized this right before I came in to Ouaga. Not only did I celebrate my one year anniversary here but something a little closer to home. When I first moved to village my friend Collette had a baby that was just a fat little infant. Now...he walks! That little boy is unstoppable and it made me realize that so much time has passed since I left. One year to go! To those of you who have pushed me, I thank you you gave me strength...but it is to those of you who thought I couldn't do it-- it is to you I thank the most because, without you I wouldn't have tried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment