Sunday, May 22, 2011

Hmm...

Today was relatively boring. I started packing up my stuff for my trip. I think that it will all fit quite nicely into the rolling duffle bag and the hiking backpack that I am going to attempt to put it all in. I called the duffle bag my "stuff" suitcase and the backpack I will put clothes and whatever else I need easy access to.

I went to church tonight. It was my first time really ever going by myself. I have to admit that I was a little nervous at first, but the atmosphere of St. Anthony is just the kind of place where you can go by yourself and not feel weird. Father George told this story about a kid that was in a tragic accident. A doctor was called, that was the only one in town that could save the young boy. The doctor gets out of bed and gets ready to head to the hospital. He knows that there is a quicker way to get to the hospital than he usually takes, but it is through a dangerous neighborhood. He decides to take the risk and drive the quickest way. When he comes to a stoplight he stops, and a man in a grey hat and dirty t-shirt opens that car door and tells the doctor to get out of the car. The doctor quickly tries to explain that he has an emergency that he is trying to get to, but the man doesnt listen and takes the car anyway. It takes the doctor nearly 45 minutes to find a phone and a way to the hospital. When the doctor arrives at the hospital he rushes to the nurses station and asks about that boy. She tells him that the boy died nearly 30 minutes ago. She tells the doctor that the boy's father is in the chapel and that he cannot understand why the doctor did not show up to save his son. The doctor walks quickly to that chapel, and the boys father is there dressed in a grey hat and dirty t-shirt...the man that took his car. The man looks at the doctor is pure terror after realizing what he had done. He had rejected the only person that could have saved his son.

Do you get the moral of the story?

I think about that story, and I think about where my faith is these days. I have grown in my faith so much ever since moving to Texas. Attending the 6p.m. mass at St. Anthony of Padua Catholic Church has definatly brought me a lot closer to God and has helped me grow in my faith. I attend mass almost every Sunday now, and I go to class on Thursday nights with Lauren. I hope that I keep the strength that I have in my faith whenever I am in Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment